Thursday, November 30, 2006

kimono's in MN




Part two - We traveled to an unobtrusive dairy with spectacular ice cream and delectables from all around the world. I was tempted by the tapenades and the marmalades, but stuck with the cheese curds and ice cream. I am from Wisconsin. Then, oddly, we visited a shop dedicated to the care and selling of Japanese wedding kimonos. They were gorgeous. This veteran gentleman specializes as one of the few traders in the world of these treasures. It sadly sounds to be a dying artform and he loves to share the kimonos' beauty. Some of the kimono's were over 250 years old and he showed us the french knot embroidery used all over one and the silk hand painting of another. They were unbelievable. Sarah modeled for us. My mother-in-law is Japanese, though you'd be hard pressed to know it looking at my kids.

2 Comments:

Blogger Krawuggl said...

I would have never thought that the art of making kimonos is also a dying art. I always thought that in Japan the history and tradition is held up very high. Very interesting. Sounds like everywhere in the world, only the modern and new thing are fancied. And although Japan is such a strange country for me, their habits are hard to understand for non-asiens, I am so much interested in it.
And what happened with your job, have you got the one where you could work as a teacher? Which classes and arts? I really would like to hear about it.
Have a nice weekend,
Suzi

Friday, December 08, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Your life is beautiful.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home