Tuesday, November 21, 2006

excess

We had a lovely time visiting my chilly girl away at College in St. Paul, MN. Two and a half months is a long time to go between "mom" feeding. The middle of me misses my "away" girls. Ahh. It was very nice to wallow in her life for a bit.

Well, the visit included a trek to the famous (infamous) Mall of America. It is a disgusting tribute to all the foibles and excess of Americans. It is a troubling thing. The size alone is overwhelming. Four floors, four wings and the first floor shivered underfoot as you dodged glassy eyed shoppers. Sarah, at nine, was quite stunned by the roller coasters sweeping the lights and the flashing, glowing holiday decorations. Consumerism, in all its ugly - exposed and raw. I did want to see it for myself and I'm happy I did, if alone for the satisfaction in knowing I need never visit it again.

In contrast, my travelling girl visited Cordoba, Spain to view the ancient architecture and sites of the city. Her glowing regard for the history and mood of the place seeps through her words. We (my mother, chilly girl and I) are planning a visit to Spain in March. It will be my first travel overseas. I'm a bit nervous but can't wait to get another mom fix and soak up the beauty of Spain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Krawuggl said...

Your plan to go to Spain sounds so nice and it will be at a time, when the oranges blossom there, so lovely. My sister lives there and the best thing with visiting her in march was that there we were going in short sleeve shirts, while Germany was still cold and snowy. (And I am also always nervous before going by airplane)
Thank you so very much for your sweet and kind words, you are so nice. Even if I donĀ“t comment (what a shame!) I visit your blog regularly and I always enjoy the reading. As far as I understand English, you have such a special and warm way to express your thoughts, I like it so much.
Have a beutiful day,
greetings, S.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home