Sunday, June 04, 2006

Juggling


I'm fascinated by the world opened through blogging. Fascinated and intimidated at the same time. I marvel at the ability of some who whip up a sweater overnight or fashion a new purse out of the old curtains that were tucked away in the basement. The old curtains would be moldering on a shelf at my house. I enjoy knitting very much. It frees my mind to wander. I've mastered mittens, struggled with sweaters and find relief in simple patterns. But, the pleasures of knitting compete with my other desires. I love to read and am determinedly nudging myself along a path to work on my writing. How does one juggle these introspective and time consuming passions with the reality of daily life? I read these wonderblogs and shudder.

I'm currently ignoring the three loads of clean clothes strewn on the floor that need to be folded. My daughter, in a surge of energy, ripped up the ancient carpeting in the den. She has vanished. The lure of visiting new college friends superseded the desire to complete her project. With family coming to visit next weekend, cleaning off the stuck on underpad and washing the floor takes on some urgency. That project joins the chore of cleaning my upstairs. I've noticed that you can reach a point of complacency when the dust, flying pillow feathers and cat hair need to be removed. What's one more layer? Not to mention - exercise - easy to ignore in the increasing jumble of needs around here. Most importantly, it's gorgeous outside. My peonies are lush with blooms and the sun begs to be wallowed in. The neighborhood pool opened yesterday. One of my cats is toying with the cello bow that popped its horsehair, another need to add to the list... My husband wants to go waterskiing... the girls have softball practice... the upstairs will have to wait, the peonies beckon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Krawuggl said...

I am with you, the real life is most important, and sometimes, when reading all those beautiful blogs of the most talented and busy ladies, I am thinking "how are they doing to serve all those many parallel lifes"? Knitting and crafting can wait, sometimes ít´s much more better to go out in the garden, just sit and adore a rose in full bloom.
Enjoy the sun,
Suzanne

Sunday, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Krawuggl said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, please don´t be scared by the worlwide web. You are in blogland here, and you will see that there are a lot of wonderful, warm-hearted woman, a place I will never miss. With my blog I´ve got to know knitters and crafters all around the world, and they are lovely, helping, advicing, generous, it´s a group of woman sharing the love for creating something with their hands. So have fun.

Sunday, June 04, 2006  
Blogger Marietta said...

welcome to blogland! i am a newbie too - there is nothing wrong with one mnore layer of feathers and cat hair - of course i say this not being the one who does th ecleaning - my husband might object though :)

look forward to reading more of your adventures in wis - KAHN- sin

Tuesday, June 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home